Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Do we have the right to our own opinion?

I can honestly tell you that I'm on the fence on this one. Maybe not so much on the fence, as being able to see others retorts to what I have to say about my view on the subject. If I say that I do believe we have the right to our own opinion then of course someone will say they don't believe so. Here's where it gets tricky to me, isn't this whole debate a matter of opinion? I think an opinion is a hard to thing to describe completely so it gets sticky. This is pretty much where I'm at. Everyone will never agree. Everyone will always think differently due to their own experience and so on. That being said, why am I going to try to convince you to think my may until I am blue in the face just for you to say, that it didn't affect you one bit? The "taboo" subjects especially. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy conversing over those things and hearing peoples opinions and so on, but after so long of trying to shove something down someones throat is just going to be pointless. Now the article that this all sparked from is where it get's tricky as well. Her example of you having the right to live so the car has the obligation not to hit you, to me at least, is completely different. Those are physical things that can actually be grasped. Someones thoughts on the other hand, not so much. I know this isn't very well organized because I get confused just thinking about it because I can see both sides of the argument, where I stand is different. It's babbling and going back and forth but it's part of the reason I didn't say as much as I would have liked to in class. I'm still very confused on the whole matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment